Loan of Equipment
- Only Rice students, faculty, and staff with a valid Rice ID may borrow equipment.
- Borrowers must be trained in using the appropriate piece of equipment before being granted check-out privileges.
- Borrowers are responsible for all equipment checked out to them after they sign the DMC equipment checkout form.
- Should equipment become faulty for any reason while in the borrower's charge, return it immediately to the DMC and let the DMC staff know about the problem.
- Equipment sign-out privileges may be revoked at any time without warning due to careless handling of equipment or repeated lateness. For example: unattended equipment is considered careless handling.
Terms of Equipment Loan and Renewal
- Equipment can be checked out for a 7-day period.
- Equipment may not be renewed.
- Equipment may be returned and checked out again at the DMC service desk.
- Extended loans of any equipment will be allowed only with special permission from the DMC professional staff as availability permits.
- Reservations are up to 7 days.
- Reservations may be made or requested up to 30 days in advance.
- Reservations are valid for 24 hours. Equipment will be released if it is not picked up within 24 hours.
- Back to back reservation - the minimum amount of time required between consecutive bookings is 24 hours.
- Pre-approved/long term projects may be given special consideration by the DMC professional staff.
Lost or Damaged Equipment
- For any equipment under $100.00 and any accessories not returned, or returned that are broken, the borrower will be responsible to pay the full cost of replacement.
- For any equipment above $100.00 that is not returned, or returned that is broken, the borrower will be responsible to pay the true value of the equipment after regular wear and tear is taken into consideration based on three years (i.e. six semesters) life cycle. For instance, a $550.00 camera that has been used for two years (i.e. four semesters) would have a value of $183.34. The calculation is as follows: $550.00 - (($550.00/6)*4) = $183.34. If this deduction would reduce the replacement fee below $100.00, the borrower would instead pay $100.00.
- The borrower can keep the damaged equipment after he/she pays the true value of the equipment.
- Note: For any equipment not returned, if the borrower doesn't communicate with DMC staff (i.e. ignoring emails, voice messages, text messages, and phone calls from the DMC), the borrower will be responsible to pay the full cost of replacement.
- Costs assessed against borrower will be imposed on borrower's library account and should be paid at the circulation desk of the library.
Reserving Equipment Online
- Log in to your Library Account.
- Use Advanced Search and choose "DMC Equipment" category
- Search and select the equipment you want to book
- Under REQUEST, click Request Item button.
- Fill out the Date and Time on the popped-up request form, click SEND REQUEST button.
- Click on your name in the upper right corner and click "My Request", you can view all your equipment reservations and cancel any reservations.
- If you have reserved equipment and find that you do not need it, please cancel the reservation so that others may use it.
- For more information, refer to this guide of Equipment Self-Booking in the Library Catalog
Checking out Equipment
- You may pick up reserved equipment at the DMC service desk during DMC open hours.
- Equipment can be checked out earlier than time it has been reserved for if the equipment is already available, but there are no guarantees that it will be available.
- First time borrowers, please fill out this Borrower's Agreement Form.
- You will need to fill out the equipment checkout form(s) upon checkout.
- check the main item and all of its accessories in the package against the DMC checkout form.
- ensure that the equipment is in proper working order before checking it out.
- Equipment must be returned directly to a staff member at the DMC service desk during DMC open hours.
- Equipment cannot be dropped off to the book return box or left outside/inside of the DMC.
- If you have difficulty meeting the due date or can’t make to the DMC open hours, contact the DMC at 713-348-3635 or firstname.lastname@example.org, we will work with you to ensure the equipment is returned properly.
- Because the DMC's equipment is expensive, we require more complex procedures than if you were merely checking out a book from Fondren in order to reduce liability and ensure that we can continue providing our equipment checkout program. It is therefore important to allow plenty of time when picking up and returning items, as the process cannot be completed instantly, especially if other patrons are in line to be helped.
- The DMC will do its best to honor reservations. However, our equipment is used heavily, and occasionally patrons return items late. If this happens, we will do our best to find alternative equipment or to notify you when the equipment is returned. Please help us ensure the smooth operation of our check-out system by returning equipment on time.
- You will not be able to make a reservation or check out an item if your library account is blocked due to fines or overdue items. Contact Access Services on the First Floor of Fondren Library to clear your account.
- If you are a temporary staff at Rice, you will not be able to reserve equipment although you can check out equipment.
- An item is only available when it is not checked out and not reserved either.
- DMC no longer checks out laptops. To borrow a laptop, refer to the Laptop Loaner Program at OIT.